October is National Arts and Humanities Month
Join in the celebration!
October is National Arts & Humanities Month (NAHM)—a collective recognition of the importance of culture in America. NAHM was launched by Americans for the Arts more than 30 years ago as National Arts Week in honor of the twentieth anniversary of the National Endowment for the Arts and National Endowment for the Humanities. In 1993, it was reestablished by Americans for the Arts and national arts partners as a month-long celebration, with goals of:
FOCUSING on equitable access to the arts at local, state, and national levels;
ENCOURAGING individuals, organizations, and diverse communities to participate in the arts;
ALLOWING governments and businesses to show their support of the arts; and
RAISING public awareness about the positive impact of the arts and humanities in our communities and lives.
The arts are a national asset and should be available everywhere to everyone—and while a majority of the public believes this based on public opinion polling and other research, it’s often not their default way of thinking about the arts. National Arts & Humanities Month is an opportunity for everyone to help change public perception and promote the crucial role of the arts and humanities in promoting individual wellbeing, addressing trauma, connecting cultures, highlighting inequities, and making our communities healthier and stronger.
5 Ways to Celebrate National Arts and Humanities Month
Below are just a few of the ways you can participate with Roswell Arts Fund for NAHM in October. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more opportunities to incorporate arts into your daily activities and to share your favorite moments. Tag us and use the hashtag #ROSWELLARTS
Roswell Arts Fund (RAF) is thrilled to welcome Duo Catanza to perform as part of the monthly Classical Pop Up Performance Series. The series is presented in partnership with Roswell Music Club and Friends of Mimosa Hall and Gardens.
About Duo Catanza:
What is Catanza? When creating the name for their guitar duo, Scott and Matthias decided to use something that would be reflective of their heritage. Scott’s great grandfather immigrated to the United States from Catanzaro, Italy, which is known as the City of the Two Seas. In thinking of ways to use Catanzaro within the name of the duo, the decision was made to shorten the name to Catanza. In addition to creating a word unique to the duo, the name also highlights the word, tanz, which is German for dance. As Matthias has German heritage, amongst others, this seemed to be a perfect choice. Thus, Duo Catanza was created.
2. Get Involved with Roswell Arts Fund and Support the Arts in Roswell
- Make a donation
- Join us as a sponsor or local partner organization
- Apply to join the volunteer board
- Shop Our Amazon Wishlist
3. #ShowYourArt2022 - 31 Day Photo Challenge
Join us in a month long photo challenge created by Americans for the Arts to celebrate art in our communities. Help us share why Roswell is a destination for the arts!
- Print off the list or follow us on Facebook and Instagram to discover the unique
theme of the day.
- Snap a picture that answers the theme
- Post the images to Facebook or Instagram – make sure to tag @RoswellArts and use the hashtag #RoswellArts
4. Explore Public Art in Roswell
- Take an Art Walk through Roswell Mill
- Bike or jog between sculptures at Riverside Park
- OR Click here and use the RAF interactive art map to plan a fun fall outing exploring art in Roswell. Don’t forget to add stops to your favorite brewery or restaurant along the way to make the trip complete!
- However you choose to explore the public art throughout our city, download the FREE Otocast app to hear the artists tell you their stories along the way
5. Advocate for the Arts
- Explore the Arts Fact Sheet from the Arts Action Fund and learn why the ARTS MATTER TO GEORGIA
- Advocate for the creative industry to local, regional and national leaders. Ask questions and share your voice in support of the arts at election time and all year round
- Share 10 Reasons to Support the Arts in 2021 with friends, family and neighbors!
- Read the Arts and Culture Questionnaire Responses from our local 2021 candidates prior to the 2021 elections